Monday, June 16, 2014

Stretching Benefits Kickboxing in Dacula



This month, I have decided to write on warming up and stretching because lately, I have been asked to lead the class in these areas.  I’ve noticed that some people disregard or downplay the importance of both warming up/ stretching and miss the value in their overall exercise program.  The article I chose to write on was Nice-To-Know Facts About Stretching, Flexibility, And Warming Up from www.fitness.com. 

The first thing I learned is that warming up and stretching are not the same.  Warming up should always precede stretching and usually consists of low-intensity whole body exercise such as walking or jogging.  It is designed to prepare the body for more intense exercise.  Stretching cold muscles can cause injury. 

Stretching has mixed results in scientific studies.  Some benefits include increased range of motion in joints and enhanced circulation.  Stretching should focus on both sides of the body and major muscle groups.  It should be performed slowly and smoothly; avoiding jerking or bouncing motions.  Tearing the muscle can be counterproductive as scar tissue forms leading to less flexibility and more pain. 

Athletes should be cautioned not to stretch an already strained muscle or ligament which can cause further inflammation.  Stretching should be done to a point of tension but not pain.  Flexibility is a good thing but those that are overly flexible can be at greater risk of joint injury.  One does not go hand in hand~ flexibility is individual.  Joint integrity must be preserved along with flexibility.  The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends flexibility training 2-3 days per week holding stretches for 10-30 seconds.  Stretches should be held to a point of tension or mild discomfort and repeated three to four times each. 
One interesting thing I learned was that aging does not automatically equal a loss in flexibility.  It is not a natural byproduct of aging rather a result of inactivity.  Maintaining an active lifestyle can prevent changes in posture, flexibility and join integrity.  Exercise can, in effect, prevent injury.  The American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) recommends flexibility training 2-3 days per week holding stretches for 10-30 seconds.  Stretches should be held to a point of tension or mild discomfort and repeated three to four times each.  I think that with any exercise regimen, flexibility training should go hand in hand with any type of exercise for overall wellness. 
I’m glad that our kickboxing classes incorporate warm-ups and stretching as part of the program.  I’ve noticed such an improvement in my own personal flexibility since beginning.  I may have rushed through or skipped working on flexibility but I’ve come to enjoy this part of class as a vital component.  I think it’s really important to preventing injury and maintaining a healthy body.  I’d like to research different types of stretches/ warm-ups and their benefits in the future.  I know that stretching and warming up enables me to give my best in the cardio/ strength training/ kickboxing portions of class.  Anti-aging is just an added bonus!


Article by : Kerry Caron




Choe's HapKiDo Karate of Flowery Branch
7380 Spout Springs Rd
Flowery Branch, Braselton, Buford, Hamilton Mill 30542
(770) 967-1700